The Philoptochos Society is a national sisterhood of women whose collective purpose is service to others as the philanthropic auxiliary of the Greek Orthodox Church. It was established in 1931 by Archbishop Athenagoras 1 and has since become one of the largest women’s charitable organizations in the United States. Generations of members have devoted countless hours of service in fulfilling the mission entrusted to them.
The translation of the word Philoptochos is “friend of the poor”.
- To aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts.
- To promote the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources;
- To preserve and perpetuate Orthodox Christian concepts and the Orthodox Christian Family, and through them, to promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions, in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worship, usages and customs;
- To promote participation in the activities of the Greek Orthodox community with the cooperation of the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
- The charitable work of the Society shall be performed with discretion, courtesy and kindness.
Philoptochos National website http://www.philoptochos.org